Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Packers Revisit Past with Signing of Old Running Back, Offensive Line

In a surprising move today, the Green Bay Packers essentially admitted the shortcomings in the backfield and signed former Packer Ahman Green to the roster.

In a related story, the Packers also made several signing along the offensive line. In addition to Green, the Packers signed 2003 Mike Flanagan, 2003 Mike Wahle, and 2003 Marco Rivera. They then pulled off a major coup at the trade deadline by trading the 2009 versions of Mark Tauscher and Chad Clifton for their 2003 counterparts.

2009 Mark Tauscher seemed a little miffed by the move.

"Yeah, they sign me last week to a vets' minimum, stash me on the inactive roster, and then just use me as trade bait for myself," Tauscher said while boarding the plane out of Green Bay. "I mean, I know they are a little desperate along the line right now. It just seems a little out of the norm."

Out of the norm is certainly a good way to describe it. But, the locker room was full of mirth as several old teammates reunited.

"It's great to be back," said 2003 Mike Flanagan, "I can't wait to go against the Vikings in two weeks and just push around those Williams boys."

General manager seemed slightly defensive at today's press conference, stating clearly that this did not have any bearing on the future of his plan. "This is not a return to the Mike Sherman era," he said.

True to his word, he nearly swung several more eleventh-hour deals, including trades for 1996 LeRoy Butler, 1978 Ezra Johnson, and 1966 Ray Nitschke.

1 comment:

IPB said...

What? No Kenny Ruettgers?

And, I'm sure Jerry Kramer and Fuzzy Thurston are in the area, not doooin' much. We could bring back The Sweep. You could at least call in Willie Wood and use him as a Consultant. No?

I have no doubt that Frankie Winters is currently insulted by these recent moves. I know I would be. I mean, do you know how hard it was to protect a guy like an athletic Don Majkowski - sucker would never stand still. C'mon, already!

GO PACK!