Monday, May 7, 2007

The Other Shoe: Front-Loaded Contracts

I'm as much a fan of front-loaded contracts as anyone. However, about ten years ago, EVERYONE though back-loaded contracts were the best thing since sliced bread. They hadn't yet experienced life when the final years came due and the cap acceleration was crippling.

So, I'm just thinking construcivistly...what's going to be the "other shoe" with front-loaded contracts?

What if a lot of the front-loaded contracted players end up having great seasons, then look at their salary in year 3 out of 5 and pull a Javon/McKenzie/Harris...where the contract was fine a few years ago, but not anymore?

By the way, I'm not intending this as a slight towards Packers GM Ted Thompson. I'm pretty happy with how he's signed those players to such contracts, and the fact that he has not put himself in any cap hell in the future.

I just wonder if there's going to be a dark side we're not seeing yet to going the other direction

No comments: